About the job
Contract type: Permanent
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits– We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days (1 of which is a corporation day) with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
We are looking for a Principal iOS Software Engineer to join the iPlayer Mobile team.
BBC iPlayer is one of the UK’s most well-known and loved brands, and we’re looking for passionate team members to join our collaborative, cross-discipline, agile teams. We welcome applications from all, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexuality, social background, religion and/or belief.
As a Principal Software Engineer for the iPlayer Mobile team, you will be one of the technical experts in the iOS engineering space. We want to ensure that our applications continue to be world class, and we are looking for someone who is passionate about application architecture and engineering excellence, and who is motivated by the challenge of ensuring that our application is fit to meet our product ambitions of the future. You will have a real opportunity to influence the technical direction of a product that is used by millions of audience members every day.
In iPlayer Mobile we have a number of small, self-organising and highly collaborative team of engineers, testers, UX designers, technical architects and product owners. We value our engineers, offering regular training and development opportunities, as well as ‘10% time’ allowing dedicated time for self-improvement, learning and innovation. We take the time to reflect and improve on how we’re working via team retrospectives and mentoring. We’re a hard-working team who are supportive, care about each other, and promote a healthy work-life balance with opportunities for flexible working hours and a friendly working environment.
- Playing a key role in the technical direction of iPlayer, ensuring our application architecture is fit for the future
- Hands on coding, pairing with other engineers on a daily basis
- Positively influencing our engineering culture by demonstrating the right behaviours and attitudes
- Mentoring and coaching other team members, ensuring a high standard of engineering excellence within our product
- Advocate new technologies and approaches to ensure our products are industry leading
- Providing domain expertise across the mobile teams
- Collaborating with other departments across the BBC around shared concerns
Are you the right candidate?
- Be able to communicate effectively with both technical and non-technical colleagues at all levels in an organisation
- Strong iOS experience, with deep understanding of iOS app architecture and design idioms
- Proficient in Swift and Objective-C
- Experience of leading high profile technical projects
- Strong understanding of OOP, analysis and decoupled design
- Strong architectural experience
- Demonstrable understanding of Test-Driven Development
- Experience of source control systems such as Git
- A track record of producing maintainable code within collaborative environments
- Ability to rapidly acquire new software skills and to work with new technologies
- Degree in Computer Science or equivalent
- Experience with Continuous Integration/Deployment in mobile apps
- Web services integration (REST, JSON) in a mobile environment
- Experience with Agile/Scrum/Kanban project management methodologies
- DevOps experience
- Knowledge of Amazon Web Services
To apply for this job please visit www.linkedin.com.